Friday, September 25, 2009

Hogan Cemetery

Hogan Cemetery is located in Pulaski County, MO., in Buckhorn, Missouri, behind the building known as Witmor Farms.

Hogan Cemetery is a very small graveyard with only one tombstone remaining. There are 7 unmarked graves. The graves were marked with stones until the late 1970’s, early 80’s when the graveyard was vandalized. The stone that remains belongs to N.J. Hogan, born 26 July 1822, died 7 May 1888.

UPDATE: Tony Hale, a great grandson of William T and N.J Hogan replaced tombstones in early 1985. The majority of stones have been replaced with concrete markers with the initials HC scratched into them. This cemetery is abandoned and forgotten and needs a little TLC to bring it back into shape. There are several logging roads nearby and it is evident that many trees have been cleared. The logging team has taken care to not down trees on the stones, but many limbs have fallen into the graveyard itself. Surrounding landowners are VERY watchful of this property and hope to see it cleaned back up. APR 20, 2010

Township 35-Range 12-Section 05

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know that this cemetary is known. My family lives nearby and my step dad told me about the cemetary in the 80's from going squirrel hunting down in the hollow there. I recall going to see the cemetary in the late 80's. I thought I remembered two big headstones and several smaller stones just marked HC for Hogan child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So verry happy this cemetary is in the limelight...I visted that place so much as a child, I remember before the new stones where placed.

    ReplyDelete