Saturday, August 4, 2012

Larry K. Rogers 1915-1986

Larry K. Rogers was born July 30, 1915 in Temple, Texas and died April 10, 1986, in St. Robert, Missouri.

In death, as in life, he had his day planned with improvements on his world and projects of helping those he knew and loved.

He had a real passion for cars.  As he drove down the street, especially the street of a city or country he was visiting for the first time, it was the cars he saw.  He knew them all - year, make and model.

Even as a little boy, his mother would have a hard time getting him inside for meals.  He was too busy riding his tricycle.  He fast grew up to bicycles and those, although a joy to him, were implements for helping add income to his family.

Larry was a family man!  From the time he was four, he gained a little brother to adore through the years, until he married and had four girls of his own.

Larry’s family moved to Oklahoma, where he grew up.  He met Natalee Goodwin in Oklahoma City and after a year of courtship, mostly by mail, they were married on January 11, 1942 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Larry went into the service of his country on June 16, 1942 and served with the Medical Detachment of the 341st Engineers until September of 1945, during World War II, 18 months of that time was spent in Canada on the building of the Alcan Highway, an experience he treasured for the rest of his years.  23 months were spent in the E.T.O.  There, he experienced life at it’s roughest.

When peace came at last he and Natalee moved to Chicago, Illinois, where he joined his father-in-law in the Used Car business.  He and Natalee purchased their first home and started their family.  On September 16, 1946, a little girl, Karen Sue, added to their circle of love.  Sharon Lee joined their family on November 7, 1948.

A move to Oklahoma City in 1949 gave Larry a new experience in the business world - a grocery store.  He again was partners with Lee Goodwin, his father-in-law.  While living in Oklahoma, a third daughter, Sydra Mae, was born on May 26, 1950.

The family moved back to Chicago that same year and their family circle was complete on May 11, 1951, when Sheila Ann arrived. 

(missing text)

Migrating to Missouri in July of 1954, where he again was a partner with the Goodwin’s, operating the Ranch Motel in St. Robert for 15 years.

Through these years his girls were growing up.  Their father was an hourly part of their years, the same as their mother.  He learned to feed, to cook, to cuddle, to discipline, and was the family doctor.  He never forgot his medical training during those war years.  He was the healing hand, the listening ear, the loving arms - yes - the stabilizing force of the family.

During those years he found time to become interested in his community.  He became a member of the Waynesville - St. Robert Lion’s Club, serving in nearly all of the offices including the Lioness Club Advisor.  He was the guiding Lion for the Buckhorn - Laquey Lion’s Club when it organized.  He served nine years as a Board of Education member for the Waynesville - Fort Leonard Wood Schools.  He became a Mason and later a Shriner.  He was a member of the Pulaski County Development Club of the Shriners, served as Executive Secretary of the Waynesville - St. Robert Chamber of Commerce, and at that time helped instigate the Annual Gun and Coin Show.  He was also a member of the American Legion and the A.U.S.A.

He served eight years on the County Hospital Board and he served on the John Knox Village Board of Directors and was elected to the Waynesville City Council after serving one year as City Assessor.

After selling the motel in 1969, Larry became semi-retired.  He worked for Mac’s Cleaners, Spur Furniture and then spent several years working for the Waynesville - Fort Leonard Wood School System.  In 1983 he retired.

Through these working years, he acquired business property in St. Robert and Waynesville, giving his family the financial security that was most important to him.

In 1984 Larry and Natalle moved to Crocker, Missouri, where he found more civic interests.  He joined the Chamber of Commerce and became an active participant of the Senior Citizen’s Center.  At the time of his death he was serving as Chairman of that Site Council and Vice-Chairman of the County Council.

(missing text)

After moving to Crocker, he became a member of the Crocker Presbyterian Church.  He had been recently elected as an Elder of that church.

Larry was a loving and devoted husband, father, grandfather, son, brother, nephew, and friend.

Larry was a working member of every organization and group he became a part of.  His mind was always working on the possibilities of helping the world he touched and enriching the lives of his family and the people he loved.

His passing will leave a deep empty place in the hearts of his family, his many friends and his community.  Larry passed through this world, and by doing so he enriched the hearts and lives of many people, and this will always live on.

Funeral services were held Monday, April 14, 1986 at 11:00 a.m. in the Waynesville Memorial Chapel with Rev. Kenneth Campbell and Virgil White officiating.  The reading of the obituary was by Paul Corbett.  A Eulogy was given by Robert Wright, a son-n-law.  Music was provided by soloist, Garry Hodgden and organist, Martha Sullins.

Escorts were: C.A. “Art” Anderson, Byron Eldredge, Bill Fuller, Chuck Moss, Bill Ransdall, Ben Romine, Gary Squires, and Kenton Wagner.

Honorary escorts were Allan “Rip” VanWinkle, Gerald Sullins, and the members of the Waynesville - St. Robert Lions Club.

Interment was in the Waynesville Memorial Park Cemetery under the direction of the Waynesville Memorial Chapel.

Larry is survived by his wife, Natalee G. Rogers of the home; four daughters, Karen S. Rogers of Kansas City, Missouri, Sharon L. Wright and husband, Robert A. Wright of Kingwood, Texas, Sydra Rogers Ranjbaran and husband, Keyvan Ranjbaran of Plano, Texas and Capt. Sheila A. Tronsdal and husband, Thomas Tronsdal of Lindsay Air Force Base, Weisbaden, Germany; a brother, Gil C. Rogers of San Francisco, California; three grandchildren, Kendra L. Wright, Adam K. Wright, and Lindsey E. Wright, all of Kingwood, Texas; an uncle, Russell F. Rogers of St. Petersburg, Florida and many friends.

Larry was preceded in death by his mother, Mary Rogers Lenhart and father Dudley Kendall Rogers.

No comments:

Post a Comment